Frequently Asked Questions

What is the aim of the Infectious Diseases and One Health programme?

We have designed this course to provide skills and knowledge in the area of infectious diseases, from a one health perspective. In particular, you will learn about infection and immunity, epidemiology, translational medicine and risk assessment. You will receive a rounded training with extensive laboratory experience during the mobilities and the internship. More information about the content of the programme can be found on the programme page.

What qualifications do I need to apply for this course?

  1. You must have been awarded a first cycle degree (bachelor degree) from an accredited university. The degree must have involved a minimum of three years full time study and correspond to a minimum of 180 ECTS.
  2. Your area of study should have been in one of the following areas: biological sciences (if possible with a major in immunology, infectious diseases or microbiology; veterinary, medical or pharmaceutical sciences.
  3. Dental or nursing backgrounds are not the most suitable backgrounds.

The minimum requirements for the academic results of postgraduate study are indicated on the University of Edinburgh website:
The grades listed in the website should be treated as a general guide. Each application is considered individually and you are advised to contact the IDOH+ coordinators for further information on admissions

Full details of qualifications needed to apply for the EMJMD-IDOH are available on the Apply page.




How can I tell whether my academic qualifications are at the level required (at least Honours level 2.1 or equivalent)?

The University of Edinburgh has guidance on what level of qualification would be expected for students from different countries. Please access the website and look for information concerning the country where you did your degree.




What language will be used for teaching in the IDOH programme?

The programme will be taught in English, but you will also receive instruction in French, Spanish and German to help with your daily life during your mobilities in France, Spain and Germany.




What if English isn’t my first language?

All applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English. Please see the Apply page for further details.




Why do I have to provide a certificate of English proficiency when I was taught in English during my degree? Why is the minimum English requirement so strict?

We have a minimum English requirement for this programmes. These requirements are provided in the links on the IDOH website and in the guidelines.
The whole programme will be taught in English, by people from many nationalities and with many different accents. Many of the assessment items involve written or spoken reports and it is important that you are able to understand and respond appropriately. In our experience of MSc programmes the required UK/UoE level of English competency is the minimum necessary to adequately complete a programme like IDOH.
Please read the guidelines carefully and note that many countries where all teaching is in English (such as Ethiopia and Nigeria) are NOT exempt from the requirement to obtain English language certification - IELTS, TOEFL iBT or equivalent. A letter from your institution stating that you were taught in English is not accepted and the only acceptable form of TOEFL test is TOEFL iBT.




How much does the course cost?

Please see the Finances page for a complete explanation of the costs.




How many students will be accepted into the IDOH programme?

We will take a maximum of 24 students each year.




Are there any scholarships for this programme?

Yes, fully funded scholarships are available for both EU and international students. The majority of our scholarships are for Partner Country students including some for students from Targeted Regions but we also have scholarship funding Programme Country students. Please see the Finances page for more information. The deadline for applying for funded places is in March each year. More details are avaliable on the Apply page.




I have my own funding. Can I apply for this programme?

Yes, we accept a number of self-funded students into the programme each year. However, all applications will be considered for a scholarship. You will have to indicate, if, in case of not selected for a scholarship, you would like to be considered as a self-funded student. The application deadline remains the same, usually at the beginning of February.




When can I make my application?

Applications for scholarship funded places will open in December and close in February each year. The specific dates for each year will be announced on the Apply page.




How do I make my application?

Once applications are open there will be a dedicated application site available through the Apply portal. Before then you can find out what will be required in the Application Guidelines.




Where can I find out more about the timetable and teaching schedule?

Details of the courses within the mobility structure and for each semesters are available on the Programme page. We envisage that students will spend a full working day on study-related activities, either in classes and practical sessions or working on their assessment items and attending Institute seminars and lab meetings. You should therefore plan to be studying from 9am to 6 pm most weekdays (times may vary e. g. in Spain).




Where will the teaching take place?

In this unique programme, you will spend one semester each in Tours, Barcelona and Hannover. In Tours the teaching will be at the Faculty of Pharmacy in the Campus of Grandmont; in Barcelona the master takes place at Veteterinary School; in Hannover you are located on the campus of the Medical School or the Veterinary School. Your thesis research/internship can take place at one of the academic partners or any of the associated partners across the world.




How can I find somewhere to live in each of these cities.

Each of the Universities has an accommodation service.



What do graduates from the EMJMD-IDOH go on to do?

A statistic of graduated students and their current occupation or academic path is being evaluated at the moment. Please check here again for further information.




If I am not accepted for IDOH are there other similar programmes I could apply for?

The IDOH programme grew out of programmes running at the institutions of each academic partner universitie. Information on programmes is available at each university’s website. In particular, the Hannover MSc in Biomedicine, the Tours Master Infectiologie, immunité, vaccinologie et biomédicaments and the Barcelona Official Master’s Degree in Zoonoses and One Health provide the foundation for the IDOH MSc. Each university also has other programmes available in the postgraduate prospectus (Tours; Barcelona; Hannover).




What support will be provided for IDOH students?

The partner universities all have an International Office which will help you to adjust to live in each country. You will become part of the Erasmus Mundus community and can join the Erasmus Mundus Association which will support you through your studies and beyond. Your lecturers will always be available to assist and you will be assigned to a member of staff who will help if you are facing difficulties. Above all your fellow students will be come your support group and you will form life-long friendships during your EMJMD.




How does the mobility structure work?

Please refer to the section on Mobilities.